BuyNothing offers people a way to give and receive, share, lend, and express gratitude through a worldwide gift economy network in which the true wealth is the web of connections formed between people. We believe that communities are more resilient, sustainable, equitable, and joyful when they have functional gift economies.
Each of us is here to:
- Offer and Request Gifts
- Share, Lend, and Borrow
- Express our Gratitude
- Build Strong and Generous Communities
- Respect our BuyNothing Community Commitment
The Basics: Give, Ask, Gratitude
- There are some basic BuyNothing gift economy actions you can take. All of these are important and they add up to a strong community:
- Offer any item or service you’d like to share, loan, or give away.
- Request any service or item you’d like to borrow or keep.
- Express your gratitude! Sharing gratitude is what fuels the magic.
What items and services can you offer or request?
- Any item that’s freely-given can be offered or asked for.
- Things do not need to be brand new or even fully operational. All items are welcome.
Here are some different freely-given service gifts you can offer or request:
- A Gift of Self is something that one participant can do for another. It could be an evening of babysitting, a ride for an errand, help in the garden, a request for a spiritual act like prayer or meditation, even the gift of your own company in the form of a game of Scrabble, or anything else that one neighbor might do for another neighbor.
- A Gift of Talent is anything that one participant can teach another. Examples include: cooking or canning classes, computer lessons, tutoring or anything else that you would like to learn or teach.
- A Gift of Time refers to offering or asking for someone to spend time with you. Examples include: jogging/walking/workout buddies, coffee/tea meet-ups, playdates for kids or pets, organizing an activity for the members of your group. This does not include open invitations to attend events that are also advertised elsewhere and open to the public, unless the recipient will be attending as a guest (or date) of the giver.
© 2021 Liesl Clark and Rebecca Rockefeller All Rights Reserved